Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Broccoli and babies!

When I say broccoli, you say _______? Gross? Yuck? No way? Those tree looking things that I haven't touched since I was five? Fake ignorance and ask what I'm talking about.

Well I used to say all of the above as well until I discovered the easiest, tastiest version of a vegetable I can think of (and still have it qualify as healthy). Let me change your life.

First things first, preheat your oven to 425. Then, you take 2 heads of broccoli (I know, from the initial looks of things, this will not result in something delicious, but bear with me.) Once you've made this, you will start to cook more than two heads at a time because it's so good, you can eat a ton of it because it's healthy, and it reheats well for lunch the next day. Just a suggestion. Ok, where I was I? Oh right, once you have determined how much you want to cook, break the head(s) in to small florets (word of the day?) I put them on a foil lined baking sheet just to help with easy clean up.


Then you take about a tablespoon of oil (any kind you like! I use sunflower oil but I've used olive oil and it works great too) and brush it onto each piece of broccoli. Make sure you get every piece, it is vital to the end result. Then take about 2 teaspoons of salt and sprinkle them all over. You can always use less depending on your preferences. This "recipe" is pretty hard to screw up and you can eyeball all of it if you are more of a go-with-the-flow person. 

Then you shove those babies into the oven for a solid 15-18 and voila

I know my pictures are lame. But you can see the difference if you look closely. See how they're a little browned?

You have a crispy, healthy, super easy, delicious side that you won't be able to get enough of. Even if you think broccoli is a four-letter word. And if Dt thoroughly enjoys this version of a vegetable, just about anyone will. Try it. Thank me later.

Original recipe can be found here

Ingredients:
2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
1 tablespoon olive oil, or any oil you like (sunflower, grapeseed)
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lay the florets in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
Pour oil into small bowl and dip a pastry brush into the oil and then onto each floret to coat lightly.
Sprinkle evenly with salt.
Roast for 15-18 minutes, or until broccoli tips have begun to blacken and they can be easily pierced with a fork.

Now, in other news, I'd like to share with you a blog post that had me crying from laughing so hard. This is one of the blogs I follow and after reading this post I thought it was too funny not to share. She experiments with the "what your future children will look like" website a la How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days and the results are ridiculous! Take a look and make sure you are somewhere you can laugh hysterically without any judgement.

http://ardjla.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-did-bad-thing-today.html

I'm easily amused and if you don't find this as funny as me, I understand. 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy recipe! I LOVE broccoli so I will definitely try this!

    Thanks for the shout out. It made my sister pee her pants when she read it. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate it when that happens, haha! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete