Saturday, January 7, 2012

Spinach Smoothies, yum!

Have y'all heard about spinach smoothies? They're great!!! Growing up, my health-crazed mother drank these things that we referred to as "the green drink." Back then, I thought it was the grossest thing I had ever seen. Mom's were comprised of just lettuce and water but they looked horrendous! Well, as I've aged and matured, I've realized that mom was right about a lot of stuff (don't you hate it when that happens?), including her "green drink." These days, I refer to my "green drink" as the "green monster" and it has a little more involved than lettuce and water.


So this is what my smoothies usually consist of. Lots of fruit (I always have frozen fruit on hand because there's not telling how long my fresh fruit will last but when you do use fresh fruit I suggest adding some ice to thicken it and make it more like a smoothie), some milk or coconut water, greek yogurt (little bit of protein?), and lots and lots of spinach! Now, most people think that blended spinach would be gross, and the thought of it is, but you actually can't taste the spinach at all! It tastes just like a normal fruit smoothie but with a really fugly green color. I always shove as much spinach in there as possible because I think this is the easiest way to get a few extra servings of my daily fruit and vegetables. 


This is what it looks like before blending. Sometimes I add a little honey to make it sweeter or some flax seed. You can throw just about anything in there but remember that the more honey and non-veggie/fruit things you put in there, the less healthy it becomes...


This is the blended product. In the picture it looks nice and pink and pretty but in reality, it was dark purple/brown. But just picture it as this lovely normal color so you'll be more likely to drink it!



One spinach smoothie, size large! These make a great snack or breakfast and are full of veggies, fruits, and nutrients!

Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment