Friday, January 6, 2012

Still proud to be a tiger!

You may have heard, my tigers lost on Wednesday. Lost may not be the best word to describe what happened in that game... we were obliterated. I think it was a record breaking high score for a bowl game and not because of Clemson. It was a very sad night for the tigers.

Very fitting. 
As hard as it was for me to watch my team self-destruct, it was even harder for me to deal with the aftermath. Unfortunately, since it was such a huge loss and a national bowl game, the whole country witnessed our implosion. Including all of those super classy gamecocks that I'm surrounded by. It was hard to see all of the horrible comments about my team on facebook and every where else (especially since I'm not sure how this game even affected the gamecocks but that's another rant for another time). People seem to expect us to be embarrassed for being tigers or think that we will give up on our team after that horrible loss. What people don't seem to realize is that Clemson is soooo much more than our football program. Yes, that is a huge part of Clemson but it will never make or break our school spirit.

To me, Clemson is...

my alma mater
a top 25 public university in the country
solid orange
where the tigers play
where I received my top of the line education
where I grew into the person that I am today
Tiger Town Tavern on a friday night
Bid day on bowman field
where I met the love of my life
about pride
searching for the perfect shade of orange all year round
waking up at 6 a.m. to tailgate for a noon game
first friday
running down the hill
homecoming floats on bowman field
Mac's diner
the cadence count
tiger paws
home to clemson blue cheese and ice cream
sundresses and bowties on gameday
purple and orange sunsets over Lake Hartwell
Howard's rock
in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains
listening to the bells in Tillman on your way to class
home to the band that shakes the southland
the botanical gardens in the spring
home to Death Valley
tailgating in the fraternity quad
a feeling that you can't explain to an outsider
traditions
a family

All of these things make up Clemson. Many relate to football but have absolutely nothing to do with winning or losing. That is why I proudly wear my orange and purple in a town full of garnet and I will do so until the day I die. Go Tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment