Sunday, March 11, 2012

The ups and downs of being on a schedule again

While waking up at 6 am blows (every morning, even on Friday. Maybe it'll get better?), there are some upsides to having a job. First and foremost, that pay check that will arrive on the 30th of this month. How many days is that from now? Too many. But it's coming!

Another plus is that I'm finally getting back on a schedule. Since I've graduated my life has been extremely flexible and I've done what I wanted when I wanted. Which was obviously fab but I found myself wasting a lot of time and my days eventually became kind of boring. Having no schedule and having a strict schedule are two very different ways of life and I've been jumping from one to the other this past week which has made me realize that having a schedule isn't all bad.

There are some great things about having a schedule. You know what you are going to be doing throughout the week. I know that I have to wake up at 6 which means I need to be in bed by at least 10. This girl needs a solid 8 or she will get cranky. No one is safe when I am tired. You've been warned. I also know that I need to plan my lunch and dinner according to my schedule and what it will allow. Lots of planning, but I know what is coming. Yes, this takes the fun, spontaneousness out of the week but with the stuff my clients bring into my office, I'm sure I will be surprised on a daily basis.

So after a fully scheduled week, I woke up on Saturday with no plans and no idea of what the day would bring me. I've always been a morning person and when I'm up, I'm up. Once I get my solid block of sleep, I'm good to go. I also have an annoying internal alarm clock that will wake me at 6 am even if my real alarm clock doesn't go off, so thanks for that Mr. Schedule. But thanks to Nyquil (allergies have made me their bitch this week. I'm dying!) I was able to catch a couple more hours of sleep and was awake at 8 am to find that Dt had left to go to work for a few hours. Usually, Dt sleeps until about noon which is fine because I know he has to wake up early during the week so I let him sleep as late as he wants and I catch up with my DVR. He has been going in to work on the weekends a lot lately because he's trying to get his Ph.D. finished early so combine the two and I miss out on very valuable Dt time on the weekend which makes for a sad Emily.

Luckily, Dt was home by 9:30 and as we were sitting in the living room I realized I can't remember the last time we were both up, fully awake, and going at 9:30 on a Saturday, so I suggested we take advantage of it and do something like go for a walk. We decided to head down to Main Street, Columbia to take in the sights. It was nice and sunny but a little brisk. The streets were relatively empty but it was nice to be able to spend time with Dt. As you may know, I'm not a fan of Columbia but I do like Main Street. Parts of it are run down but there are some cute shops and nice buildings and it's one of the prettier streets in Cola, I think.

Via


Via
We stopped by the Mast General Store and bought some candy then made our way to the Vista for lunch. We went to the new Salsarita's which we had never been to but had heard good things about. I thought it was ok. The chips were good but it was like a step up from Moe',s so nothing too fabulous. Am I missing something? Any recommendations? It was kinda disappointing since people rave about it in Greenville but I didn't get it. I'd rather have Qdoba any day!

Via
Via

And by the time we got home, it was barely 1 and we still had the whole day ahead of us! Fabulous! So while it is hard to wake up early and eat dinner at the same time every night, if it means I get more quality time with my boy on the weekend, I'll take it. Oh, and I'll take that paycheck 19 days from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment