Thursday, February 9, 2012

Weekend recap


I know we are closer to the upcoming weekend than we are to last weekend but I'm sure you are wondering what Dt and I did with his 14 year old  brother. On Thursday, we went to Newberry to meet Dt's parents for dinner and pick his brother up. We ate at an italian restaurant that is a small chain that they love but I usually hate. This time around, I tried a greek calzone (which was called a delight or something completely useless like that) and it was way weird but kinda good at the same time. It had lamb, peppers, onions and feta in it (like a gyro, yum!) but then was turned into a calzone and covered with cheddar cheese and pizza sauce. Ok, that was weird. Separately, they would have worked so I just kinda took it apart and ate it like a calzone and a gyro rather than a calzone gyro. But it's the best thing that I have found there so far so that's an improvement.

via


via

= WTF?

But I digress... So we picked the munchkin up and drove the 45 minutes home where we suggested buying him ice cream. He said no. What 14 year old kid doesn't want free ice cream?!?! Well, Dt and I wanted ice cream so we were going to get some and the wet blanket in the back seat was coming whether he liked it or not. So we introduced him to Rita's Ice Custard Happiness. 


via
Have you heard of Rita's? First of all, it's called ice custard happiness. That's it's name! Doesn't it make you want to eat some happiness? Well it should. It's delicious frozen custard or ice, both of which you can get separate but are amazing together. The custard comes in fat-free options and the ice has sugar-free options so it is even diet friendly! It is quite a treat and the combos are endless. If you have one of these around you and have never tried it, GO! Dt and I wasted 4 years in Clemson without trying this and those are four years of ice custard happiness that we will never get back. Don't make our mistake. 

Ok, Rita's rant done. By the time we got home (and forced the kid to eat ice cream, weirdo) luckily it was time for bed. The boys woke up early to head to Dt's lab where his brother would follow him around all day while I headed to a job interview. The boys came home around 2 which is early for Dt but I'm assuming following him around lab was boring (my theory was later confirmed. Dt is a smart, nerd who does breast cancer research. Sounds fun but it actually boring. But he's helping the world!) They then proceeded to play video games until 7 while I watched trashy tv in the bedroom and read on the porch. So it turns out we didn't have to find a movie to take him to or put our feet into nasty bowling shoes in order to entertain him. Who knew a 14 year old boy just wanted to play video games with his big brother?!? Works for me! We decided to head to Red Robin for dinner which was delicious as always (their burgers are fab but you should also check out the bruschetta chicken sandwich, just sayin'.)

Saturday my little brother, Tucker, was playing in a pre-season lacrosse tournament in Clemson and since Dt and I love all things Clemson, I love watching my brother ball out, and Dt's little brother has probably never heard of lacrosse, we decided to head up there to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it because my little brother is a beast! Yes, I'm bragging because he is my little brother (who is bigger than me...) but he is also an awesome athlete. He probably scored 15 goals in two thirty minute scrimmages. Not even exaggerating. Granted, the teams they were playing kinda sucked but him and his best friend just killed them! Tuck is a senior so this is his last season and it should be his best so far, very exciting! When Dt and I have babies, they are going to have two very athletic uncles to look up to!

That's Tuck on the far left and his best friend/partner in crime on the far right. They make a dangerous attack team on the field. 

After the tournament the boys and I went to Mac's diner for lunch. If you're not familiar with Clemson then you haven't heard of this hole in the wall diner but if you are, you know this is a Clemson landmark. It's also where Dt and I went on our first date 6 years ago. Awww, sentimental! While the food is not great, it's about the atmosphere and it's tradition. We love it!
via
When we were done, Dt's mom met us right outside of Clemson and picked the kiddo up and our weekend of babysitting was over. Relatively painless but also pretty boring. It turns out that Dt's little brother is nothing like him. He's very quiet, doesn't have a lot of opinions, and may or may not be terrified of people with breasts. Oh, 14 year olds, aren't they awkward?

The rest of the weekend was pretty calm. I cooked all sorts of stuff for the super bowl and we cheered on the G-men. We were obviously happy with the outcome but pretty disappointed with the commercials. My two favorites were





My two favorite commercials both involved dogs? Coincidence? I think not. I'm obviously in need of a puppy...

Sorry for the long post. Keep a look out for my super bowl recipes as well as my big announcement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment