Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hello Blogworld!

I’m Emily, or Em to my nearest and dearest; it’s very nice to meet you! I’m a little shy about beginning this blog but I thought I would give it a shot and see how I like it. I recently started reading a lot of blogs and just fell in love with the blogger community. I don’t really have a niche (yet?) so I’m not sure where this blog will lead us but I invite you along on this new journey with me.
So where do I start?
I guess I’ll introduce myself a little more… I’m a twenty-something living in Columbia, South Carolina. I recently finished graduate school and have been on the job hunt ever since (which may or may not be the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, but we’ll get to all that a little later). I currently live with my boyfriend of six years, DT, and I am thoroughly enjoying my time being a housegirlfriend after 18 years of constant schooling/working. In my spare time I like to read, cook, pin things all over that addictive website Pinterest, and covet all of the beautiful things that I can’t afford on my current budget.
Speaking of budget, one of the first things you should know about me is that I have a champagne taste on a beer budget (in reality it’s more like a Dom Perignon taste on a water budget considering that unemployment thing, but that’s neither here nor there). See, I have this problem, much to Dt’s dismay, where I can walk into any store, and I mean ANY, and if I had to pick out one thing it would HANDS DOWN be the most expensive thing in the store! Now, this will be ok one day when I’m married to a rich doctor who spoils me rotten, ahem Dt, but considering I’ve been on a grad school budget for the last two years and am currently on a zero budget, it’s a serious problem. Like I should join an anonymous group for this type of problem! So yes God, I’m sorry, but I covet on a regular basis and have an unrealistic wish list of things that I think I need in my life (which has been blown completely out of proportion thanks to that Pinterest thing).
Now, where was I before I went off on my lack of budget tangent (I really need a job if you couldn’t tell…)? Oh right, introducing myself. Let’s see, I’m the oldest of three children and I’m definitely the stereotypical oldest child. I’m independent, I can do it all myself, and I’m willing to try things before other people. My family and I have lived in the upstate of South Carolina for over ten years now and while I’ve enjoyed parts of it, and loved my college, I left my heart in Colorado which is where my siblings and I grew up. I know, I know, you’re thinking this crazy girl has lived in the South for 10+ years and chose to go to school in the South but she’s still pining for CO? The answer is abso-freaking-lutely!!! Have y’all ever been to CO? Or upstate SC? The two are as different as it could possibly get and I have parts of both that I will cherish forever but I will live in CO again at some point in my life (Dt is fully aware of this and while he has never lived outside of SC he is completely onboard, I knew I loved him for a reason…) I’m sure I’ll go more into my love for CO later in the blog but we’re still in the middle of introductions, I don’t need to bog you down with all of that. Yet.
Now, since we’ve reviewed that I’m currently unemployed yet in possession of a graduate degree, you may be wondering what I went to all those years of school for (6 to be exact). If you aren’t wondering that, then you are no where near as nosey as me and you should probably just skip ahead. Well since you asked, I received my undergraduate degree from Clemson University in psychology. I then went on to earn my Ed.S. degree (which is equivalent to a master’s plus 30 credit hours if you were wondering, and if you already knew that, I’m thoroughly impressed because you are 1 of about 100) in counseling at the University of South Carolina.* My specialty is marriage and family counseling and most of my experience is with high school students and their families. I love working with kids and would like to find a job doing that but at the moment I’m looking for anything in the counseling field in Columbia. While job-hunting, I run multi-family groups at night and work at a retail store during the day. I’m working towards my licensed professional counselor (LPC) license and a full time job in the counseling field would really speed that along. If any of you out there have any tips, I’m always open to suggestions!
Anywhooooo, I’m going to use this blog to document my daily rantings, thoughts, cravings, inspirations, gripes, loves, and anything else that comes to mind. The basic things you need to know about me is that I’m completely random and brand new at this blog thing so bear with me if it doesn’t always flow like a normal person. Because believe me, I am not normal!
*If you are from SC or familiar at all with Clemson or USC, then you know that these are arch rival schools within the state. I’m talking about the biggest rivalry in the country that no one outside of South Carolina even cares about. So, since I graduated from both schools you may wonder if I’m divided. The answer is HELL NO!!!!! I’m a die-hard Clemson fan and will be for the rest of my life. Tiger pride was instilled in me during the best four years of my life (so far) and I will always bleed orange which means I will despise the gamecocks (yes, that is really the Univeristy of South Carolina’s mascot and Go Cocks! is commonly shouted during the games) until the end of time. So why did I go to USC for graduate school? It had the very specific program that I wanted so I sucked it up for two years and said go tigers every chance I got to anyone who would listen. Go Tigers! P.s. yes I know I can be obnoxious about my love of Clemson but I’m really sweet deep down and have many friends who are Gamecocks and I love them anyways!
A few more things about me--
Things that I love: my family, my closest friends, the love of my life affectionately referred to as DT, Clemson University and anything related to it, reading, fall, Colorado, cooking (and the subsequent eating of the tasty food that I have created), my DVR, snow, beach music, Yellowstone, my macbook (I’ll never go back to PC), puppies, southern charm, cupcakes, monograms, Taylor Swift, mountains, travelling, road trips, my nook, vodka, my kitchen-aid mixer, ketchup, naps, and the St. Lawrence River.
Things that I’m not so fond of: Humidity, Columbia, Gamecocks, running (even though I still attempt this on a regular basis), cleaning, laundry, ignorance, vegetables (even though still I attempt to eat them on a daily basis), whiskey, people who are obnoxiously loud, people who don’t respect other people’s opinions (I’m not saying you have to agree, just listen), hard rock music, being poor, cartoons, pants.
Like I said before, I’m extremely random but that’s what makes blogging fun right? Right?!? Oh well… until next time!

Love, Em


No comments:

Post a Comment