Friday, December 2, 2011

Meet the Besties


Now that you’ve met dt and the fam, I think it is only appropriate that you meet my besties. I was lucky enough to go to college, join a sorority (woo AXO!), and as cliché as it sounds, find my bridesmaids. I was able to meet a handful of girls who I know I will always have a connection with, no matter how far away we live from each other and how long it has been since we’ve talked. So let me introduce the girls  (in no specific order) who have gotten me through the last 6 years of life.

First of all, there is Kyra (or kyra beera as I like to call her…) I was forced to hang out with this crazy chick my freshman year when my “big sister” in my sorority asked me to give Kyra a ride to initiation. My “big” and Kyra’s “big” were best friends so they thought we should be best friends. We weren’t so sure about that. But we ended up riding to initiation together and then going to one of our first sorority date functions together (not as each other’s dates but more like sidekicks while dragging our dates along) and that night in the middle of Pumpkintown, SC, a wild and crazy friendship was born. Our sophomore year we decided to live together on our sorority hall and the shenanigans that ensued will not be repeated on this blog but lets just say we had a hell of a lot of fun. We didn’t live together junior year but we had apartments next to each other senior year and we were notoriously inseparable. I also credit her with my obnoxious use of abbreviations. We’ve been fortunate enough to find boyfriends who understand that our relationship with each other is weird and unique and that there really is such a thing as the Emily and Kyra Hurricane so bless their hearts for putting up with the two of us together. I have very few memories of college without this girl in them and while our long distance friendship sucks, I know that our relationship will never change. Kyra is the female counterpart of my soulmate and I don’t know what I would do without her!



One of the first nights we ever hung out




Some theme party, but unfortunately I couldn’t tell you what the theme was…









80’s party or normal Friday night? You decide



80s party! Where we're clearly not paying attention...

Now, the next bestie you should be aware of is Steph (or Stephy). This wonderful lady came into my life my sophomore year on bid day. Another sister was actually supposed to be in charge of this new AXO baby but she pawned her off on me to go do something else. Big mistake woman!!! It may not have been love at first sight (who wants another little of the week when you are already assigned one? Not this underachieving AXO). But the second she opened that sarcastic, hilarious mouth of hers, I knew this girl and I would be more than just sorority sisters. Over the next four weeks as I got new “temporary littles” I knew that I had already picked mine out. Unfortunately for Steph, I found it thoroughly entertaining to mess with her and tell her I wasn’t her big all the way up to when she had to follow 2 miles of string to discover that I was her official “big sister.” From that day on, I had my sidekick! We went to all of our functions together, Kyra was her pseudo-big just because they were both forced to hang out with me on a daily basis. She also has been subjected to multiple thanksgivings with my family and I will always love her for fitting in so perfectly with my family (who miss you like crazy and expect you to be at our next Thanksgiving but Mama G says she hopes you’re doing well…) Since Steph was a year younger than me we only had 3 wonderful years at college together and now she lives about 4 hours away (sadsies) but I still consider her one of my best friends and miss her like crazy!

The three of us were never far apart











This is us with Babs, Steph's little and my grandlittle. Cute fam, huh!





The next influential girl in my life is Miss Mary Todd. I’ve known her for 6 years, and it’s never been Mary, always Mary Todd and that’s just the way it is! Now, fate was definitely working when the two of us some how found each other. While Mary Todd is also an AXO, she was not one at Clemson with Steph, Kyra, and me so we did not meet through our sorority. We met through Dt and his sophomore roommate. Mary Todd was dating dt’s roommate, Todd (yes Mary Todd and Todd were a couple) who just so happened to have the same last name as me (which is really weird if you knew our last name but since I don’t want people stalking me, you don’t). Mary Todd and Todd were in a long distance relationship so I didn’t really know her our freshman year very well but as those weekends that we both lived at our bf’s apartment went on, we became closer and closer and eventually formed a bond that can never be broken. Our relationship has outlasted good ole’ Todd and a few others which is really where our relationship grew. See, Mary Todd was the one who was there for me when Dt and I went through our rough patches (and there were a few…) and I like to believe that I was there for her when she went through some of her own. I remember one Valentine’s Day when we were each other’s dates because boys sucked and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I love her for always being there through my relationship drama (as well as any other drama I may throw on her) and being my sounding board for dumb ideas (such as this blog), hard questions that no one else will give me an honest answer on, and always calling me on my BS.  Mary Todd, I don’t know what I would do without you and our gchat convos  (which we rely on because the crazy bitch went and moved to Alabama which is much too far away).





Alpha Budlight Omega Anyone?

This isn’t a very good pic but it’s proof that dt loves mary todd almost as much as I do




This is Mary Todd with one of my best girlfriends from grad school, Jennie!

Kyra and Mary Todd, gotta love 'em!

And they've gotta love me!

So those are some of the important people in my life, hope you enjoyed getting to know them and a look at our lives together. 

Love, Em

No comments:

Post a Comment